- What is Salonpas®? How does it work?
- Salonpas® is a line of topical analgesics that delivers a specific dose of medication through the skin. Each product, whether patch, liniment, gel, etc. contains or may contain active ingredients such as Menthol, Methyl Salicylate, Glycol Salicylate and Camphor, which go through the skin to give you a cooling / warming / soothing sensation, and relieve aches and pains of muscles and joints.
- What is the history of Salonpas®?
In 1934, Hisamitsu introduced Salonpas® in Japan as the first ever topical pain patch in the world. Salonpas® has been present in the Philippines over 70 years and is currently available in over 30 countries worldwide. Hisamitsu seeks to promote people’s health by providing medicinal products, particularly pain relieving patches and has grown into Japan’s leading company in the field of drugs for external use.
- What is Methyl Salicylate?
ethyl Salicylate is a salicylic acid derivative. It behaves in a similar way as another salicylic acid derivative, such as Aspirin. Most Salonpas® products contain Methyl Salicylate. If allergic to Aspirin or cannot take Aspirin for any other reason, please avoid using Salonpas®.
- Is Salonpas® safe?
Salonpas® products are much safer and healthier alternatives to oral pain pills because they are applied right at the site of pain, so the medicine does not have to travel through the stomach and get processed by the liver. Please also note that for the past 70 years, billions of Salonpas® products have been sold throughout the world with no reports of death and very few case of serious side effect.
- Does Salonpas® cause any side effects?
hile few side effects have been reported from using Salonpas®, side effects are minor. Some people may have sensitive skin, and skin reactions can be unpredictable. An individual may be allergic to one of the ingredients contained in the patch without even knowing. In case of a “burning” sensation, rash, itching or if excessive skin irritation develops, please remove the patch immediately and consult a doctor.
- Can children use Salonpas® products?
All Salonpas® patch products can be used by children 12 years old and over. Salonpas® Gel and Salonpas® Liniment can be used for children 2 years of age and over. Please consult a doctor before applying Salonpas® products to children
- Can I use Salonpas® along with other oral pain relieving products?
Please consult a doctor before use since health condition differs by each individual. It is important to read both product labels carefully. The chance of a stomach bleed is small, but is higher if other drugs containing an NSAID are taken (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, or others).
- What are NSAIDs?
SAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are a class of drugs that provide analgesic (relieves pain) / antipyretic (reduce fever) / anti-inflammatory (reduce inflammation) effects. Methyl Salicylate, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen are NSAIDs.
- When not to use Salonpas®
Please do not use Salonpas® on open wounds or damaged skin. Avoid contact with the eyes, mucous membranes or rashes, or if allergic to aspirin or salicylates. Also, do not use with heating pad.
- Are Salonpas® patches reusable?
No, Salonpas® patches are designed for one time use. They cannot be used more than once.
- Why do I need to remove the patch after hours stated on the package?
Is it harmful to keep wearing it?
The patch loses its effectiveness after the duration of time suggested. The adhesive on the patch can lose its stickiness and the patch may come off, or it can get too sticky and it may become painful to remove. Also, a rash, itching or skin irritation may develop if the patch is on the skin for too long.
- Can I take a bath while using Salonpas® product?
We recommend use of Salonpas® AFTER a bath for a more relaxing and optimum effect, since Salonpas® products are not designed to be worn during bathing.
- What are the shelf life / expiration date of Salonpas® product?
he expiration date is different per product. Please check expiration date on the packages.
- Is it harmful to use expired Salonpas® products?
Active ingredients in expired products may have lost effectiveness. Expired patches may not have adequate adhesiveness as well. Please use products prior to the expiration date.
- Do Salonpas® products lower/increase my blood pressure?
There have been no reports of decrease/increase in blood pressure from using Salonpas®. If you have low or high blood pressure, please consult a doctor before using Salonpas® products.